Friday 1 November 2013

Funny In 15 - Background Colouring.

My main role after developing the animatic & deciding upon a style for our 'Dog Shit' animation, was in relation to the backgrounds.

Another member of the group decided upon doing the line art for the backgrounds - as this was his strongest suit. So I 'attempted' the colouring of the backgrounds...

This, was a struggle. I am not much of a digital painter, which I am currently working on as I feel it will develop my concept work to a higher standard! Looking in particularly at the backgrounds of 101 Dalmations & the pastel, pale colours of the style, I created the palettes very much based on the pieces as a starting point.

There are no real sources of light in these designs due to the animations which will be layered on top, but the usage of paler tones is also to ensure that the character's aren't lost in the backgrounds.

After experimenting with several - A LOT - brushes & opacities & 'techniques' I think the textured appearance created is relatively good & in keeping with the style! In the end I layered the brush colours over one another to create the shades of colours, used the smudged tool so as not to create solid lines between the colours, then used the a lowered opacity brush to overlay the smudged colours.


No comments:

Post a Comment