Tuesday 12 November 2013

Pre Production Bible - Female Character Costume Design!



The costume of the female character was very much improvised for the concept pieces & I, am in fact ashamed to admit, that I used no references... I am a bad designer...
So in an attempt to redeem myself & the costume I have looked at past police women's uniforms!

Due to the pin up style I felt more modern uniforms wouldn't be so fitting of the style... or quite so fetching. 
Though the women who were depicted in the older uniforms weren't quite as sexy as I've made them out to be... My original vision of the character was relatively dark & moody looking, relatively unrealistic. An unsexualized character.

But the style of the female Amazing Stories Covers are pin up style, sexy characters! 
The development of the character has led me to enjoy the contrast of characteristics.
The sexy character is normally playful, smiling, flirtatious...
Whereas my protagonist is fiery, moody, frustrated & cannot get what she wants.

The sketches below are from old photographs of female police uniforms, though put onto a pin up style model. My favourite of the designs is the centre, but I felt the tight, pencil skirt would lead difficult to animation. Restrictive of movement!


So I combined several! Flowing skirt, with the smarter more professional jacket. Shirt & tie to avoid the unnecessary flash of flesh, hiding the cleavage to desexualize her minimally!






No comments:

Post a Comment