Monday 13 May 2013

Painted Interior - Progression




These images illustrate the progression of the interior background designed from my previous Knight Rider storyboard.

I found this particular background a huge challenge due to the interior being a car. As something I'd never even considered drawing before I found creating the correct perspectives very difficult & when attempting to paint details this was an additional problem as my reference photograph didn't contain distinct light sources. 
When I began painting the main thing to take into consideration was how I was going to input the two light sources, one a strong focus & the other a softer source. The main source I decided upon is the clock in the centre as it enabled me to add stronger highlights & create high contrast. The second being more subtle in the the rear view mirror.

Due to the amount of detail I decided to ink the car design to make certain areas clearer & less soft & 'fuzzy'. I later added further detail & highlights in Photoshop as I struggled to add white highlights using watercolour paints.

I think that the background was more successful than I imagined, but I didn't take into consideration the fact there would be a character sitting within the frame so some areas wouldn't require as much detail. I think the windscreen in this image is also slightly off as it would, realistically, have a slight slope due to the aerodynamics of the car. I may later add a very light simplistic background as a view through the windscreen/windows, depending on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment