Monday 18 February 2013

Anticipation - Heavy Pick Up




An example of a simplistic character picking up a 'heavy' ball in the medium of 2D animation. However this is the first version of the animation created within Premiere (& the animation in progress) as I was unable to use the line tester, but decided to put it on here to discuss some issues I had in creating the animation in this media.

The brief for the project was to create a simplistic character that shows anticipation before it picks up a heavy object & particularly showing the change in the character's body shape - the change from the straight to curved back.

The image to the left shows the process of thumb nailing the animation & also getting an idea of the main poses & movements before beginning to the draw the frames on cels.

The second video is the reference I used in order to look at the movements, but in hindsight of creating the first version of the animation I need to use the video as a reference more! For example I think using the 'chin scratch' at the beginning of the animation to illustrate the anticipation is slightly cliched & overused, to I intend to look at the movement I acted out in the video & attempt to recreate that more effectively.

As I was unable to use the line testers to photograph & animate the images I struggled slightly for several reasons. One, because scanning two different sizes of paper meant that there were slight jumps & skits in the animation; two, because I had to create the animation in Adobe Premiere. After realising I could change all the timings of the images before putting it into the timeline, it reduced the amount of time taken in creating it. However once I'd pieced the animation together in the timeline it was incredibly difficult & time consuming to change one image length when sandwiched between two other images (because I had to redo everything after it...). Also difficult because I had to resize all of the images in the window, adding to the jumpy & skittishness of the movement. Overall making a less than average animation!

However, as it is work in progress I intend to improve upon certain details;
- the anticipation before picking up the ball
- the timing of the struggle of the first pick up attempt
- the process of creating the animation to reduce the jumpy appearance


No comments:

Post a Comment